Treasurer Home

Driver License Department

Property Tax Department

General Information


The Iowa Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Iowa's 99 county treasurers, has implemented a 10-year license plate replacement cycle. The Iowa DOT is implementing a new license plate design; the design of the replacement plates will be the same as the currently issue plates.



Rather than replacing all Iowa plates in one year, as has been done in the past, the Iowa DOT is implementing a “rolling” replacement cycle replacing ONLY those plates that have reached an age that is beyond the usual lifespan for a plate. License plate replacement will occur at the time of annual registration. This process will replace plates that are too old, without wasting money by replacing plates that are not.


You may return your old plates to our office for recycling, however this is not required.


Iowa State County

Treasurers Association


Many forms used in the Tax, Motor Vehicle, and Driver License Departments may be accessed and printed at this website.


You may also pay property taxes online.  Click on the link  below and follow the instructions.  Payments may be made with Discover, MasterCard, Visa and by e-Check.


Renew Motor Vehicles




First Floor


111 N 2nd Ave.

Logan, IA 51546


Hours of Operation

Mon. - Fri.

7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Phone: (712) 644-2144


Shelia Phillips



Patty Chumbly

(Motor Vehicle Clerk)


Shawna Clark

(Motor Vehicle Clerk)





  • Issues the following:
    • Vehicle titles - all types of vehicles - cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, truck-tractors, and semi-trailers
    • Registration renewals
    • Personalized and other special license plates
    • Replacement titles
    • Junking certificates
    • Salvage Titles
  • Stores vehicles
  • Notates and releases security interests
  • Collects use tax, registration, and document fees
  • Processes credits and refunds of vehicles transferred
  • Serves as an agent of the Iowa Department of Transportation and Department of Revenue and Finance
  • Prepares monthly reports
  • Submits accurate financial records for annual audit



Motor Vehicle Registration


  • Renewal notices are sent the month prior to the registration month.
  • License plates may be renewed in the month prior, the month of registration, or the month following to avoid penalty.
  • Trucks and Truck-Tractors registered at 6 tons or above are registered on a calendar year basis.
  • If renewed by mail, add $1.00 per vehicle ($3.00 per vehicle if new plates are required) for postage fee.
  • Penalty of 5% per month or a minimum of $5.00 will begin after the one-month grace period following the expiration date on your registration fees.
  • A replacement title may be issued if a title is lost, destroyed, or altered.  A $25.00 fee and a 5-day waiting period are required.  The owner(s) on the current title must sign the application form, or if a lien is noted, the lien holder must sign.
  • Refunds on the unexpired portion of license fees may be available if your vehicle has been sold or junked.  Be sure to remove your plates. Return plates to this office along with the date the vehicle was disposed.  Disposal date determines your refund amount.  Refunds for less that $10.00 are not issued.
  • Vehicles up to seven (7) years of age require a damage disclosure statement; and, up to nine (9) years of age require an odometer statement.
  • Vehicles may be stored.  The vehicle must be currently registered, and registration and plates must be surrendered to the County Treasurer.  There is no charge for storing a vehicle.
  • Payment of a full year license fee is required to take a vehicle out of storage.
  • Vehicles may be junked.  Title, registration, and plates must be surrendered to the County Treasurer.  A junking certificate will be issued.  If the un-expired portion of the license fee is more than $10.00, a claim for refund may be applied for.  When a vehicle has been junked, it can never be re-titled again.  There is no cost for a junking certificate.
  • Iowa law requires new residents to register their vehicle with the County Treasurer within 30 days from the date residency is established.
  • New residents of Iowa must surrender the original out-of-state Certificate of Title and complete an Iowa application for Certificate of Title.  All owners must sign the application.  Call (712) 644-2144 for further assistance.







Q.  Where are you located?

A.  The Motor Vehicle Office is located on the first floor of the Harrison County Courthouse in Logan, IA.


Q.  What hours are you open?

A.  The Motor Vehicle Office is open Mon. - Fri., 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Q.  What is your phone/fax number/e-mail address?

A.  The phone number for the Motor Vehicle Office is (712) 644-2144.  The fax number is (712) 644-2057.

Please e-mail messages and questions to Patti Chumbly or Shawna Clark.


Q.  How can I contact the Iowa Department of Transportation, Office of Vehicle Services?

A.  Park Fair Mall

      100 Euclid, Box 9278

      Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278

      Telephone: (515) 237-3148


Q.  If I purchase a vehicle, where do I get the title transferred into my name?

A.  If you live in Harrison County, you must title and register your vehicle at the motor vehicle department in the Treasurer’s Office.


Q.  I have lost my validation sticker. Where do I obtain a new one?

A.  If both registration and sticker are lost, the cost will be $3.00 for a duplicate registration and a replacement validation sticker.  If only the sticker is lost, bring in the current registration and a replacement sticker will be issued free of charge.


Q.  What should I do with my plates when I sell or junk my vehicle and where do I go to get a refund on my plates?

A.  You can bring your plates and registration to the motor vehicle department and fill out a “Claim for Refund” form.  The registration must have the seller’s signature and the name and address of the buyer filled in on the back.  The claim will be sent to the DOT office.  If approved, a refund will be sent to you within four to six weeks.  A refund will not be allowed for an amount less than $10.00.


Q.  Where do I get additional forms if they are needed to complete the vehicle title process?

A.  Additional forms can be acquired at the motor vehicle department at the Treasurer’s Office.  Many forms used in the motor vehicle department may be accessed at  Most forms may be printed from this site.


Q.  What are my payment options?

A.  You may make payments with cash, money order, cashier’s check, or personal check.  Credit/debit card payments are accepted in the office or online for Registration Renewals.


Q.  How do I change my mailing address?

A.  If you have moved within or into Harrison County, call (712) 644-2144 to change your mailing address.


Q.  Where do I apply for personalized license plates?

A.  You can pick up an application for personalized plates at the Harrison County Treasurer’s Office.  You can mail the form to the address on the form, or the Treasurer’s Office will mail the form for you.  Payment must accompany the form.


You may also go to to order and pay for personalized plates with a credit card.


Q.  Where do I go to get a personalized plate replaced if I have lost one of mine?

A.  You can apply for duplicate plates by bringing in your current registration and your remaining plate to the Treasurer’s Office.  The fee is $5.00.  You will receive a letter from the office letting you know when your replacement plates have arrived.


 Q.  I have lost one of my license plates.  Where do I go to get a replacement plate?

A.  You can receive a replacement set of plates at the Treasurer’s Office.  You will need to bring your current registration and your remaining plate, and pay a $5.00 fee for a duplicate set of plates.


Q.  If I put my vehicle in storage, do I have to renew the plates every year?

A.  No, you can put the plates “in storage” at the Harrison County Treasurer’s Office.  This will eliminate you from paying a penalty when you take the vehicle out of storage.  However, in order to store the plates, they do need to be currently registered.  The plates and registration need to be turned into the Treasurer’s Office and registration will be stamped “STORED” and returned to you.


Q.  When I take my vehicle out of storage, do I get free plates to put back on the vehicle?

A.  If you bring the vehicle out of storage and the registration has not reached the expiration month you will be issued new plates at no charge. If past the expiration month, you will pay 1 full year of registration fees.


Q.  How do I “junk” a vehicle?

A.  The owner of a vehicle will be issued a “Junking Certificate” after surrendering the title, plates, and registration to the County Treasurer and filling out an application for a junking certificate.  There is no fee for this procedure.  The vehicle being junked can never be titled again.


Q.  What does the name connector “and” or “or” mean on the face of my vehicle title as it relates to selling my vehicle?

A.  The name connector “and” means that both owners that are listed on the face of the vehicle title will have to sign as sellers when the vehicle is sold.  The name connector “or” means that only one of the owners that are listed on the face of the vehicle title will have to sign as seller when the vehicle is sold.


Q.  When can I renew my vehicle registration?

A.  You may renew your registration by paying the appropriate fee the month before, the month of, or the month after the registration month.


Q.  What do I do if I lose my certificate of title or need a “Replacement Title”?

A.  An application for a Replacement Title must be made in the County Treasurer’s Office where the title was originally issued.  If a lien is listed on the vehicle of record, the lien holder must apply for the Replacement Title.  If there is not an open lien, the application must be signed by the owner(s).  The application must be held for five (5) days before the Replacement Title is issued.  The cost is $25.00.  When a Replacement Title has been issued, the original title is void.


Q.  What is needed to apply for a motor vehicle title?

A.  The applicant(s) must provide a driver license number, social security number, date of birth, and full legal name.  Each applicant(s) must sign the application for title.


Q.  How does the Drivers Privacy Protection Act of 1994 affect motor vehicle records kept in the Treasurer’s Office?

A.  The law closes personal information of an individual in the motor vehicle record to the general public.  Personal information means information that identifies an individual, including social security number, driver license number, name, address, and telephone number.



© 2017 Harrison County, Iowa