Treasurer Home

Motor Vehicle Department

Property Tax Department

General Information


Visits to the Driver License Office is by

appointment only until further notice.



Manuals for Commercial Driver License, Operator Driver License and Motorcycle Driver License may be picked up at our office in the Harrison County Courthouse or viewed directly from the DMV website by clicking on the license type.


Check out these sites for forms to download and information on driving in the State of Iowa from Iowa State County Treasurers Association (ISCTA), Driving Unimpaired classes at Iowa Western Community College and Organ Donation through the Iowa Donor Registry.



Iowa Donor Registry

Driving Unimpaired Course at IWCC

Iowa State County

Treasurers Association

Iowa Department of Transportation


For more information regarding driver services in Iowa, please visit the IDOT website.




First Floor


111 N 2nd Ave.

Logan, IA 51546


Hours of Operation

Mon. - Fri.

7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Phone: (712) 644-2371

Fax:  (712) 644-2057


Heather Edney

(Drivers License Deputy)


Shawna Clark

(Driver License Clerk)



If you find you will need to conduct business with the Driver License Department during Lunch time, please call ahead to make sure staff is available.  The number is listed above.



Real ID


In an effort to ensure the safety of citizens, Congress passed the REAL ID Act of 2005.  The Act modified federal law pertaining to security, authentication, issuance procedure standards for state‘s driver‘s licenses and identification cards.


The Iowa DOT began issuing cards with the compliant marking on January 15, 2013.


To learn more about the new REAL ID act, please go to





Issue and Renew


  • GDL (Graduated Driver License) ages 14 thru 18
  • Instruction Permit & School License
  • Iowa Minor School License (MSL)
  • Intermediate License
  • Operator Driver License
  • Chauffeur Driver License
  • Commercial Driver License
  • Commercial Instruction Permit
  • Motorcycle Driver License
  • Motorcycle Instruction Permit
  • Duplicate Driver License
  • State Issued Identification Card
  • Special Identification Card (County and State Employees)
  • Persons with disabilities parking permit



Written Exams


Thursdays only, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

  • Opertator Driver License
  • Commercial Driver License and all commercial endorsements
  • Motorcycle Driver License



Driving Tests


Thursdays only, 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Call (712) 644-2371 for an appointment.

  • Operator Driver License
  • Commercial Pre-trip
  • Motorcycle Driver License (Morning only by appointment, weather permitting)



Applying for an Iowa Driver’s License or Identification Card:

When applying for a Iowa Driver’s License there are a few items that are required to verify your identity and social security number.  Follow these links for information on valid forms of identification that can be used for this process.  Arriving with the proper forms of identification when attempting to acquire and Iowa driver’s license will help to expedite the process.

  • Out of State Driver's License or ID card
  • Proof of Identity
  • Verification of Social Security Number
  • Proof of Iowa Residency


Check here to find the costs associated with acquiring a driver license -





Q.  Where are you located?

A.  The Driver License Office is located on the first floor of the Harrison County Courthouse in Logan, IA.


Q.  What hours are you open?

A.  The Driver License Office is open Mon. - Fri., 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Q.  What is your phone/fax number/e-mail address?

A.  The phone number for the driver's license office is (712) 644-2371.  The fax number is (712) 644-2057.

Please e-mail messages and questions to Shawna Clark or Heather Edney.


Q.  When can I take the written test?

A.  Written tests are given Mon. - Fri., 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Q.  When can I take the driving test?

A.  Our drive examiner is here on Thursdays.  We take appointments for Chauffer, and motorcycle skill tests.  (Pavement must be totally dry in order for motorcycle skills tests to be given.)  All other drives will be given from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  EXCEPTION: Day light required.  Please call for an appointment at (712) 644-2371.


Q.  Do you give the CDL skills and drive test?

A.  No, we do not have a four-lane street, stoplight, or railroad crossing in Logan.


Q.  Can I use the Hospital Birth Certificate?

A.  No, it must be a certified copy from the county in which you were born.


Q.  Can I have an ID and a driver license at the same time?

A.  No, you cannot have both an ID and a drivers license at the same time, as they are both state-issued.


Q.  How do I get a duplicate license or ID?

A.  In order to obtain a duplicate, you will need to tell us your Social Security Number.  We will issue a duplicate card for $10.00.


Q.  Where do I get a parental consent form?

A.  We have the forms in the DL station at the Treasurer's Office.  It must be filled out in front of a DL employee and notarized by them or in front of a notary of your choice.


Q.  What is a GDL?

A.  GDL stands for Graduated Driver License, which is an issuance under 18 years of age.


  • Instruction permit can be issued at 14 years of age.
  • School license can be issued after holding an instruction permit for six months, accident and conviction free, taking drivers education, and qualifying as per your school district.
  • Intermediate license is issued at 16 years of age or older.  You must have held an instruction permit for 1 year accident and conviction free and completed drivers education.
  • Full privilege is issued at 17 years of age.  You must have held the Intermediate License for one year accident and conviction free.


Q.  When do I have to take a drive test on a GDL?

A.  For a GDL school license or Intermediate license, you will only need to drive if your driver education instructor requests that you drive.  If you had a school license before you obtain an intermediate license, these rules will not apply.


Q.  What is a GDL Interview?

A.  Anyone who has a violation on a GDL license, will be sent a notice from the DOT, to come in with a parent, for a meeting with a DOT officer.  At this time, it will be decided whether privileges will be taken away and for how long.


Q.  How do I get an Instruction Permit?

A.  You will need to present a certified copy of your birth certificate, a social security card, and a parental consent form filled out in front of DL personnel, or signed in front of a notary.  In addition, you will need to pass a written exam of 35 questions.


Q.  How do I get a School License?

A.  You must have held your Instruction Permit, accident and conviction free, for six consecutive months.  You must have completed Drivers Education and obtained a consent form from your school Superintendent or Principal, stating that you fit the criteria needed.  Your parent will sign the back of the form in front of a notary.


Q.  How do I obtain a hanging handicap placard?

A.  You will need to obtain and provide a letter every 5 years from your doctor stating that you have a disability.


Q.  Is there a charge for the hanging handicap placard?

A.  No, there is no charge for the hanging handicap placard.


Q.  Can I pick up a hanging handicap placard for someone else?

A.  Yes, as long as you have the letter from their doctor.


Q.  How many hanging handicap placards can I have?

A.  You may have two hanging handicap devices in your name.


Q.  Can I use my hanging handicap placard in someone else’s vehicle?

A.  Yes, the device is assigned to the person, not the vehicle.



© 2017 Harrison County, Iowa